Tuesday, April 21, 2015

I have been working on quite a lot of traditional work recently.

When I was at Ringling I was lucky enough to come across an art store that was going out of business.  Since I was showed up the day before it closed its doors forever, I was able to get everything at 75-85% off.  Never one to pass on a great deal, I pretty much just bought the rest of their supplies and found myself owner of hundreds of tubes of watercolor paint, a medium my mother dabbled in when I was a child and one that always interested me.

Not too long ago, I decided that now was as good a time as any to start working in it and, since I needed a new self portrait for avatars, I decided that would be a good place to begin.


I think I need to spend a bit more time in the initial drawing phase.  I realized quickly that the angle I drew the line work was way too low in relation to what I was drawing off of, and the proportions turned out to look like a Modigliani painting.  No problem for a little photoshop adjustment in post, but stressed to me the importance of getting the drawing right before starting in on the colors.

I have also started a piece in oil pastels of a deer eating an apple because I had never worked the medium before and I have a thing for trying out every possible art medium available.  I will post some work in progress images of that and some landscape paintings soon.

:)

No comments: